Olive oil as a remedy
And during the Romans olive oil was greatly appreciated. The healing properties of olive oil have been known since ancient times.
The origin of the olive tree was recorded in the area of Central Asia 4,000 years before Christ. And since then it began to spread across Greece to the Roman Empire.
Olive oil was used by the Romans to appreciate it as a medicine. However, olive oil is divided into several types of oil. The worst for the workers and the best for the richest.
The oil was divided into 5 different oils :
1) Oleum Ex Albis Ulivus: Extra Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
2) Oleum Viride: A little ripe olives.
3) Oleum Naturum: Olives already mature.
4) Oleum Caducum: Olives from the ground.
5) Oleum Cibarum: Rotten Olives, intended for workers.
Today's olive oil is used for food supplements, for various creams, as a cure for nursing and beauty. European statistics have confirmed that the Mediterranean, the largest olive oil consumer, have the lowest percentage of cardiovascular diseases in Europe.
In Italy, 2 dl of oil per person per week is used and in Sweden 2 dl per person per year. Mediterranean cuisine mostly uses extra virgin olive oil in exchange for other oils and fats.
Characteristics of Istria olive oil :
- Contains 80% of monounsaturated acid fats.
- Prevents heart attack.
- Prevents cancers especially the breast cancer.
- Is beneficent for pregnant women.
- Is indicated for nourishments of infants.
- Reduces the bad cholesterol ( LDL ) and increases the percentage of the good one (HDL).
- Brings into organism Oleic Acid, E-Vitamin and polyphenols.
- Protects from the risk of thrombosis.
- Boosts general health through its Antioxidants.
- Stimulates the maturing of the central nervous system and the ability of the organism to defend itself.
- Prevents osteoporosis and defers the progress of arthritis.
- Its general protective function has a beneficial effects on gastritis and ulcers.
- Activates the natural secretion of pancreatic hormones and bile much more than the majority of prescribed drugs.
- Boosts a bile production in liver.
- Relives from pains inflamed central ear with 2 lukewarm drops of it.
- Has a mild laxative effect.
- Is easily digestible.
- boosts blood circulation
Marjoram Oil ( Oleum majorams hortensis ):
- Acts as a stimulant for gastric secretion.
- Acts as a sedative.
- Fights the stomach and rheumatism aches.